White Veal Stock Recipe
- 2 pounds 3-inch veal or chicken bones with any meat attached to them
- 3 quarts water
- 2 onions one halved crosswise and one medium dice
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 leeks coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stalk coarsely sliced
- bouquet garni 4 fresh parsley sprigs, 1 fresh thyme sprig, 1 bay leaf
- 8 black peppercorns cracked
- Place meat and bones in a 4-quart kettle, cover with water and let stand for 1 hour.
- Bring water to a boil over high heat, skim off foam and fat. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is clear.
- Stick cloves into onion halves; add to kettle. Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil again; cover, reduce heat to 190 degrees and simmer very gently for 3 hours, skimming as necessary.
- Spoon off any fat that solidifies on surface. Remove bouquet garni and strain through a fine sieve, the finer the strainer, the better the stock; refrigerate until cool.
- Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
- This will give you about a quart of stock.