Vegetable Puff Pie
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 leeks thinly sliced
- 3 carrots peeled and cut 1/2-inch thick
- 14- oz shitake mushrooms stems removed, quartered
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups plus 1 tablespoon milk divided
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 package frozen puff-pastry sheets thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring, 5-minutes. Add carrots and mushrooms and cook 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the flour, cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in 3 cups of the milk and simmer, whisking constantly, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the peas, tarragon, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Place the puff pastry sheet over the filling, pressing the edges to seal. Brush with the remaining milk; cut slits into the top to release steam.
- Bake until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.