Veal Cutlets with Tomato and Basil Sauce
- 1 pound veal cutlets
- All purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves chopped
- 2 cans diced tomatoes in juice 15 1/2 oz. each
- 1/4 cup fresh basil packed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes dried, crushed
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese thinly sliced
- Place the cutlets between two pieces of waxed paper or film wrap and pound with a mallet or the bottom of a heavy sauce pan, until the cutlet is about 1/8-inch thick.
- Sprinkle veal with salt and pepper; dust with flour to coat lightly.Heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Be sure the oil is HOT before dropping the cutlets into the skillet.
- Working in batches, add veal to skillet and saute until brown, about 2 minutes per side, do not crowd. Transfer veal to plate.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to same skillet. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes with juices, basil, parsley, oregano and dried red pepper. Bring sauce to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until flavors blend and sauce thickens slightly, scraping up browned bits, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange cutlets atop sauce. Top each with cheese. Cover; simmer until veal is tender and cheese melts, about 5 minutes.