Veal Chops Braised with Herbs Recipe
- 6 veal chops 1-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons oil more if needed
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter if needed
- 3 tablespoons shallots minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon basil and thyme mixed
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons softened butter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.Dry the chops well on paper towels
- Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet and brown two or three at a time, for 3-4 minutes on each side. As they are done, season with salt and pepper and arrange in a casserole, overlapping them slightly.
- If the fat in the skillet has burned, pour it all out and add butter. Stir in the shallots and garlic and cook slowly for 1 minute then pour in the wine, add the herbs and simmer for a few minutes, scraping up the coagulated fond. Scrape the mixture into the casserole over the chops.
- Simmer the casserole on top of the stove, cover and set in lower third of preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Turn the chops and baste them 2 or 3 times during this period. The chops are done when their juices run yellow when the meat is pierced with a fork.
- Remove the chops to a platter. Add the chicken stock and boil rapidly for a few minutes until the liquid has reduced and thickened slightly. Correct seasonings. Off heat, swirl in the butter by bits and pour the sauce over the chops and serve.