Tuscan Bread Salad (Panzanella)
- 1 1/2 loaves ciabatta bread stale
- 1 pound plum tomatoes fresh
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed with Kosher salt
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 3 oz. capers salted
- 3 Anchovie fillets
- 5 black olives pitted
- leaves from one bunch of Basil
- Cut bread into rough, thick slices and place in a large bowl.
- Peel and halve tomatoes, then seed them into a sieve over a bowl to retain juice. Set tomato halves aside. Discard seeds. Season juice with garlic, black pepper, 1 cup olive oil and 2-3 tablespoons vinegar. Pour juice over bread and toss until it absorbs all the liquid. If more liquid is required to soak bread completely, add more olive oil.
- Blacken peppers over a grill or gas burner, then peel, seed, and cut lengthwise into eighths.
- Gently mix together tomato halves, peppers, drained capers, anchovies, olives and basil.
- Fill a large bowl with alternating layers of soaked bread and pepper mixture, beginning with bread and ending with pepper mixture. Allow to sit for 1 hour at room temperature. Serve moistened with additional extra-virgin olive oil.