Traditional Huevos Rancheros
- 4 corn tortillas, 6-inch
- 1 cup refried beans, canned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 eggs, large
- Salt and black pepper ground
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese grated
- 1 avocado
- 2 teaspoons lime juice, fresh
- 1/2 cup Salsa prepared
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1 green onion thinly sliced on the bias
- Preheat the broiler.
- Heat the tortillas by toasting them one at a time in a dry cast iron skillet. Place on a baking sheet, spread each tortilla with 1/4 cup of refried beans and cover to keep warm.
- Working in batches as needed, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it is very hot but not smoking and the foaming has subsided.
- Crack the eggs directly into the hot butter and reduce the heat to medium-low or low. Fry the eggs, shaking the pan occasionally to keep the eggs from sticking. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Fry to the desired doneness, about 2 minutes for "sunny-side up", 3 minutes for medium yolks and 4 minutes for hard yolks.
- Top each tortilla with 2 fried eggs and 2 tablespoons of the grated cheese. Slide the tortillas under the broiler to melt the cheese.
- Meanwhile, dice the avocado and toss with the lime juice to prevent the avocado from discoloring. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons salsa and 2 tablespoons sour cream. Divide the avocado among the tortillas. Garnish each tortilla with 1 tablespoon cilantro and 1 tablespoon green onion and serve.