- 3/4 cup Spanish olive oil
- 6 russet potatoes, medium peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, medium yellow peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a 10" saute pan. Add potatoes and onions and cook, lifting and turning, until potatoes are soft but not brown, about 20 minutes.
- Beat egg in a large bowl until pale yellow. Transfer sauteed potatoes and onions with a slotted spoon to beaten eggs. Reserve oil.
- Heat 1 tablespoon reserved oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add egg and potato mixture, spreading potatoes evenly in the pan. Add the potato mixture while it's hot enough to start cooking the eggs but not so hot as to souffle them. Cook uncovered until the bottom is lightly browned, about 6-7 minutes.
- Gently shake pan so tortilla doesn't stick, then slide a spatula along edges and underneath tortilla. Place a large plate over pan and quickly turn plate and pan over so tortilla falls onto plate. Add 1 teaspoon reserved oil to pan, slide tortilla back in (uncooked side down), carefully tuck in sides with a fork, and continue cooking over medium heat until eggs are just set, about 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve at room temperature.