Toasted Pecan Scones with Currants
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold butter cut into pieces
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup pecans diced and lightly toasted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/3 cup milk or cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder, then mix in the butter, leaving some pea-sized pieces. Stir in the currants and toasted pecans.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream or milk and vanilla extract. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined; the dough will be quite moist.
- Using a 1/4-cup measure, drop the dough in equal portions into a scone pan or onto a parchment-lined or well-greased baking sheet.
- Bake the scones in a preheated 400 degree F. oven for 14 to 16 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into a scone comes out clean. Remove them from the oven and make the glaze.
- Make the glaze: 1 cup confectioners' sugar - 3 tablespoons milk - 1 teaspoon vanilla.Stir everything together, adding additional liquid as needed to make a glaze the consistency of corn syrup. Drizzle it over the warm scones and serve with butter or preserves.