Teriyaki Beef Kebabs
- 1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin
- Vegetable oil
- 4-6 metal skewers 6 to 8 inches long See Note.
- 1 2-inch piece ginger peeled
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 6 scallions
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Trim the beef of any excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- To make marinade, mince the ginger and the garlic. Chop the scallions into small pieces. Place the ginger, garlic and scallions into a bowl. Add the sesame oil, soy sauce, sherry and brown sugar, stirring to combine.
- Place the beef into the marinade, taking care that the marinade completely covers the pieces. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill, according to manufacturer's directions, and lightly season with vegetable oil. The temperature of the grill should be medium-high.
- Remove the steak from the marinade (reserve marinade). Shake off any excess marinade and then thread the meat onto skewers.
- Place on the preheated grill over medium-high heat and grill for 6 to 8 minutes, turning once and basting with reserved marinade as needed or until meat is medium rare and evenly cooked on all sides.
- To test for desired doneness, press the surface of the meat with your finger. If you can press your finger into the meat with little or no resistance, it is rare to medium rare. If the meat resists the pressure of your finger and feels "spring-like", it is medium to well done.
- Transfer to a warm platter to serve and pass the beer!