Sweet Sour Red Cabbage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 red cabbage cored and shredded (6 cups, packed)
- 1 large apple cored and roughly chopped
- 1 1/4 cups water plus more if needed
- 3 tablespoons currant jelly
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Heat one tablespoon butter in a 3-quart non-aluminum pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add cabbage, apple, 1 1/4 cups water, jelly, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, stir until well mixed, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until very tender with a slight crunch, about 40 minutes. If mixture is too dry, add in more water.
- Stir in remaining one tablespoon butter, taste and adjust seasoning, vinegar and sugar.
- Serve Hot. (see Note)