Southwestern Beef Stew Recipe
- 1 1/4 pounds beef tip roast cut into 1" cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium tomatoes about 4 cups chopped & divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 ounces whole green chiles
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup green onion tops sliced
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef pieces and cook until beef is browned. (Do not crowd the pot. If necessary, do in batches to brown properly); Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring.
- Combine oregano, cumin, red pepper flakes and salt; sprinkle over beef.
- Add 3 cups of the tomatoes and the water, stirring to combine.
- Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours or until beef is temder.
- Drain green chiles; reserving liquid. Cut chiles into 1/2-inch pieces; add to beef mixture.
- Combine cornstarch and reserved liquid; gradually stir into stew and cook, uncovered, until thickened.
- Stir in remaining tomatoes; garnish with green onion tops.