Shrimp in “Indian” Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh shrimp about 36 to 38
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, ground see note
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground see note
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- Saffron rice. See recipe.
- Shell and devein the shrimp. Rinse well, pat dry and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a skillet and add the onion. Add the chili. Cook briefly and add the shrimp, salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cardamom and cumin and stir. Add the lime juice, sour cream, and yogurt. Bring gently to the boil, stirring. Sprinkle with coriander and serve hot with saffron rice.