- 5 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6-8 green onions chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1/4 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 cup bell pepper chopped
- 1 - 8- oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 can water or more if necessary
- 1 tablespoon Worchester sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tobasco sauce
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- salt to taste
- 3-4 pounds shrimp peeled and deveined
- Preheat a deep skillet.
- Make a roux. Add the 5 tablespoons of shortening. When melted add 5 tablespoons flour and cook on medium heat, stirring constantly to avoid scorching. Cook until the mixture is a rich brown color, about 15 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the shrimp. Simmer for about 30 minutes, then cover, bring to a boil and season to taste.
- Add the shrimp and cook about 8 minutes or until the shrimp has turned pink. Serve over hot, fluffy rice.