Shepherds Pie Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs. ground lamb
- 1 medium size onion diced
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon of Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen green peas thawed and heated with hot running water
- 4 to 6 cups mashed potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- butter for greasing the casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Ingredients For Mashed Potatoes
- 5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- 3/4 stick butter cut into pieces
- 2-3 cups half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs beaten
- In a large skillet saute the chopped onions in the two tablespoons of butter till soft.
- Add the ground lamb and cook over medium heat for about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of flour, sprinkling over lamb and onions and cook till incorporated.
- Blend in the Kitchen Bouquet and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of beef stock, bring to a boil and mix till you have a nice thick brown gravy then stir in the green peas.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Pour contents into a buttered, 3 to 4 quart casserole.
- Spoon the potatoes over the top of the lamb mixture, making dollops around the edges and continuing over the entire top of the casserole. Place in a preheated 375 degree F. oven till the top of the potatoes get browned, about 15 or 20 minutes.
- Instructions For Mashed Potatoes
- Peel and chop up the potatoes.
- Over medium-high heat and in a large pot, add the potatoes and fill with water to cover.
- Cook till potatoes are done and can easily be smashed with a fork.
- Take off the heat and add the butter a little at a time and 1 cup of half and half and blend with a electric hand mixer. Continue to add the remaining butter and half and half until the potatoes are silky. They should not have any bits or pieces of potato, they should be smooth and lightly fluffy, let the potatoes cool for 1-2 hours.
- When the potatoes have cooled, add the two beaten eggs and blend into the potatoes thoroughly and salt and pepper to taste.