Scallops With Wasabi Dipping Sauce
- 30 sea scallops, small
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
For Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Remove muscle from side of scallops if still attached. Pat scallops dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together eggs and milk in a shallow bowl, put panko in another shallow bowl. Dip scallops, 1 at a time, in egg mixture and then in panko, turning to coat and transfer to a tray.
- Heat half of the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook scallops 15 at a time, until just cooked through and golden brown (adjust heat if necessary), about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Put scallops as cooked in 1 layer on a rack set in a shallow baking pan. Keep warm in oven,.
- Carefully wipe skillet clean with paper towels and add remaining oil. Repeat procedure with remaining scallops and crumbs.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice, and wasabi paste until sugar is dissolved.
- Serve scallops with dipping sauce on the side and sit back and wait for the raves!