- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter plus more for greasing dish
- 4 cup day-old focaccia cubed
- 4 cup day-old country bread cubed
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage casings removed
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 baking apple such as Honeycrisp or Jonagold, diced into 1/2" pieces
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 c. chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 c. low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 c. whole milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter large casserole dish, set aside. Spread bread over 2 sheet pans and bake until dry, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil and cook sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until browned, about 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Return skillet to stove over medium heat and melt butter with remaining sausage fat. Sauté garlic, onions, and celery until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Add apples, sage, parsley, stock, and milk. Bring to a boil and simmer 1 minute.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl, let cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Toss bread and sausage into liquid mixture; transfer to casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden brown, for about 20 to 25 minutes.