Saffron Dinner Rolls Recipe
- 1 cup milk divided
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar divided
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads crumbled
- 1 ground cardamom pinch
- 1 egg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and attach beater attachment to standing mixer or use a hand mixer.
- In a small bowl heat 1/2-cup of milk to 115 degrees F. Add 1 package of yeast and 1 tablespoon of sugar and stir to dissolve. Let sit about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixer bowl, add remainder of the milk, butter, saffron, cardamom, remaining sugar the milk/yeast mixture and the egg. Beat at medium speed until butter is in small bits.
- In another bowl, sift 4 cups of flour with salt and gradually add the flour mixture to the mixer bowl. Beat until mixture is just barely blended then change to a dough hook and beat at medium speed for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic or knead by hand for 7-10 minutes.
- Form dough into ball and place into a covered bowl. Let stand in a warm place until dough has doubled in size.
- Punch down, form into round dinner rolls about the size of eggs. Place on buttered or nonstick baking sheets. Let stand in warm place until almost double in size.
- In a small bowl whisk egg white and water. Brush tops of rolls with the egg wash. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 minutes, rotating pans once. Rolls should sound hollow when lightly tapped on the bottom. Remove to wire racks. Let cool 10 minutes.