Roasted, Smashed and Loaded Potatoes
- 1 pound small red potatoes scrubbed clean
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 cloves of garlic smashed and minced
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Adjust the oven racks to the top and bottom positions
- Place the potatoes on a sheet pan with raised edges, pour 3/4 cup water over the potatoes and cover tightly with foil. Bake on the bottom rack until tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, drain any remaining water and let rest 8 minutes.
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons oil over the potatoes, making sure they are evenly coated. Space the potatoes evenly on the sheet pan and using a potato masher, flatten the potatoes to about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with minced garlic and salt and pepper. Drizzle the remaining 3 tablespoons oil over the potatoes and roast on the top rack for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the cheese. Roast on the bottom rack until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the sour cream and scallions. Serve immediately.