Roasted Pork Shoulder Picnic Recipe
- 8-10 pound pork shoulder picnic
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Heat the oven to 500 degrees F.Score the fat of the picnic with a sharp knife, making a diamond shape.
- Rub the picnic with a spice rub, recipe below, making sure you get the rub thoroughly into all the nooks and crannies of the picnic.Add the picnic to a large roasting pan with a rack, skin side up.
- Roast at 500 degrees F. for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 300 degrees F and roast 30 minutes to the pound.
- Roasting time for an 8 pound picnic should take about 4 1/2 hours or when a instant read thermometer indicates 165 degrees F. Let rest for 30 minutes, then dig in!
- Spice Rub Ingredients:In a bowl, mix together the spices listed above, until well blended.
Sprinkle the spice rub all over the picnic and with your hands oiled with olive oil, rub the spice mix thoroughly into the picnic.