Roasted Beef Brisket
- 1 5- pound beef brisket
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 8-oz. cans tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 onions coarsely chopped
- About 10-12 turns of black pepper
- 10 cloves garlic diced
- 3 cups red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Heat oil in large skillet, add meat and brown on both sides. Remove from the skillet to large platter.
- Rub meat all over with tomato paste and salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped onions to the skillet and place the meat on top with the fat side up.
- In a bowl, whisk together the garlic, wine, soy sauce, ,thyme, bay leaf, rosemary and water and pour over the brisket.
- Cover and bake for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, basting often with pan juices, or until the brisket is fork tender.