Roast Pork Loin with Herbs and Spices
- 1 4- pound boneless, center-cut pork loin roast
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 onions cut in 1/8's
- 4 garlic cloves slivered
- 3 carrots chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 3 parsnips chopped in 1-inch pieces
- About 3 or 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes chopped similar to the carrots and parsnips
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Use a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle to grind and mix the pepper, salt, bay leaves, oregano, cumin and sweet paprika.
- Tie the roast with kitchen string in order for it to cook evenly through-out.
- Rub the spice and herb mixture all over the surface of the roast.
- Lightly oil or use a spray on a oven proof baking pan or a large cast iron skillet and spread about 2-inches of the vegetables over the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the parsley and thyme leaves over all.
- Place the spice laden roast on top of the vegetables in the pan and roast for 1 1/2 to 2-hours or until an instant thermometer reads 160 degrees. Let rest for 20 minutes before slicing, the roast will continue to increase it's temperature about 5 degrees.