Reuben Chowder Recipe
- 1/4 pound bacon sliced in 1/4-in slices
- 1/4 pound butter
- 3 ribs of celery diced small
- 3 green onions thinly sliced on the bias
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 6 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons chicken base or 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 cups saurkraut well drained and finely chopped
- 1 pound corned beef cooked and julienned
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 5 slices swiss cheese cut into small strips
- In a heavy sauce pot, cook the bacon until lightly browned; DO NOT DRAIN FAT.Add butter and heat till melted. Stir in the celery and onion and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add in the flour, stirring until well blended and smooth, about 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the hot water, chicken base, saurkraut, corned beef and caraway seeds. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add sliced cheese, heat to simmering for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Serve hot.