Quesadillas with Sausage, Cheese and Chiles
- 1/2 pound mild ground sausage meat
- 8 - 8- inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack Muenster or Mozzarella cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 2 large poblanos seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds toasted
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups small cilantro sprigs
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 cup fresh tomato salsa
- In a medium skillet, cook the ground sausage meat over moderate heat, stirring to break it up. until no trace of pink remains, about 8 minutes. Remove the sausage from the skillet with a slotted spoon and let cool briefly.
- Set 4 tortillas on a work surface and top with the sausage meat, cheese and poblano strips. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on top and dribble about 2 tablespoons of salsa over-all, cover with the remaining tortillas.
- Heat 1/8-inch of vegetable oil in a large heavy skillet until shimmering. Add 1 of the quesadillas and fry over moderately high heat until puffed and golden on the bottom, about 30 seconds. Press down with a spatula, flip and fry the other side for 30 seconds. Drain on paper towels and repeat with the remaining quesadillas.
- In a medium bowl, toss the cilantro sprigs, lime juice and a pinch of salt. Quarter the quesadillas if desired and garnish with the dressed cilantro sprigs and more salsa.