- 8 to 10 potatoes peeled and sliced
- Salt and Pepper
- Beef broth or consomme
- 1 cup or more grated Gruyere
- Peel and slice the potatoes very thin.
- Butter generously an oblong or round baking dish. Place a layer of potatoes in the buttered dish, salt and pepper, then continue adding layers. Dot the top layer with butter. Pour in enough well-flavored beef broth or consomme to come almost to the top of the dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes. Test for tenderness. If there is too much liquid left, pour off some of it. Sprinkle with the grated Gruyere and return to oven till the cheese browns nicely and the potatoes are thoroughly cooked.