Portugese Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 cup kidney beans dried
- 1 cup White Northern beans dried
- 1 ham hock smoked
- water Enough to cover beans and ham hock.
- 1 pound Portugese sausage sliced in 3/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 white onion large, chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 3 ribs of celery chopped
- 1 cup Cilantro chopped
- 2 cans 14 1/2-oz. each diced tomatoes with juice, crushed with a fork or potato masher
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 or 5 dashes of Tabasco sauce or more to your taste
- Soak the beans overnight in a bowl with at least two inches of water above the beans. Drain and rinse the beans, pick through them and throw out any pebbles or bad beans.
- In a small skillet, brown the sliced Portugese sausage in the oil and reserve.
- Put the beans in a large pot and cover with the 4 cups of chicken broth.Add the onion, carrots, celery, cilantro, tomatoes with juice and bay leaves and cook till beans are done, about 1 hour.
- Add in the cooked Portugese sausage and cook till heated through.Taste and add salt, pepper and tobasco.
- Serve hot with crusty french bread and rice. Serves about 8 Hawaiians. No leftovers.