Pinto Beans Recipe
- 1 pound pinto beans dried
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 ham hock
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 cloves garlic crushed & minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven or large pot, cover beans with at least enough water to be covered by 2 inches and leave overnight. Drain off the water, rinse thoroughly with hot water and pick through to throw out any foreign looking objects.
- Cover beans with beef broth and enough water to cover the beans by 2-inches and bring to a boil. Add the ham hock, onion, chili powder and garlic. Simmer gently until tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Just before they are done, remove the ham hock and remove the meat from the bone and return it to the beans.
- Check the beans for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.