- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg fresh
- 1 can 8-oz. tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 pound butter melted
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound macaroni
- 3 eggs beaten
- 8 ounces grated Kasseri Greek cheese
- 4 cups bechamel sauce see recipe below
- Makes 4 cups
- 4 cups hot milk
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- salt and white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- In 4 tablespoons of butter, saute the ground round with the onions, garlic, parsley (crumbling the meat with a fork) until golden brown.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper, wine and tomato sauce; simmer for 30 minutes and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, boil the macaroni in salted water according to the directions on the package; when cooked, rinse and drain the macaroni; place it in a bowl and add 1/4 pound melted butter, beaten eggs and a generous sprinkling of grated cheese; mix well.
- Spread half of the macaroni mixture on the bottom of a greased 9x13x2-inch baking pan; cover evenly with the meat sauce; sprinkle with grated cheese; spread remaining macaroni over meat; sprinkle with grated cheese, cover with bechamel sauce (see recipe below), sprinkle lavishly with grated cheese, dot with butter, and sprinkle very delicately with a few pinches of cinnamon over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Cool and cut into 3-inch squares.
- For The Bechamel Sauce:Melt butter in a pan, add flour, mix and stir until smooth.
Lower heat and gradually add the hot milk, stirring constantly until it thickens.
Add cinnamon and season with salt and pepper.