Old Fashioned Pot Roast
- 3 pounds chuck roast boneless , 2-inches thick
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 beef broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-3 turns of the ground pepper
- 1 onion cut into 1/8's
- 3 carrots thick cuts
- 6-8 small red potatoes with skins
- In a dutch oven with 3 tablespoons of hot oil, brown the meat well on all sides.
- Add minced garlic, thyme, bay leaf, wine, broth and salt and pepper.Cover tightly and simmer over low heat, turning occasionally to cook it evenly throughout, about 3 hours or until fork tender.
- About 50 minutes before meat is done, add the onions, carrots and potatoes. If needed, add a few tablespoons of hot water during cooking.
- When meat is done, remove it to a heated platter and tent with foil and make gravy.
- Serve meat on platter with vegetables surrounding the meat. Serve gravy in a gravy boat.
- Skim fat from broth. Add water to make 2 or 3 cups of liquid. Make a slurry by mixing 1 tablespoon of flour with 1 cup of water, into a smooth consistency, this is important, no lumps.
- Bring the liquid in the dutch oven to a boil and slowly pour the flour mixture into the liquid, whisking constantly until the liquid thickens to your liking. Correct seasoning at this time.