Mushrooms Stuffed with Snails Recipe
- 16 large mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 shallots chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs seasoned
- 16 large snails chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.Wash and dry the mushrooms and separate the caps from the stems and reserve.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the butter in a saucepan; add the lemon juice and the mushroom caps. Season lightly with salt and add the water. Bring to boiling and cook for 2 minutes. Drain the mushroom caps with the cavity side down and reserve the cooking liquid.
- Chop the stems fine. Chop the shallots, garlic and the snails into fine dice.Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and the tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan. Add the shallots, garlic, snails and seasoned breadcrumbs and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is well combined. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place the mushrooms, round sides down, in a buttered baking dish and stuff the cavities with the snail filling. Sprinkle lightly with the reserved liquid in which the mushrooms were cooked and then with the chopped parsley and top with grated Pecorino Romano. Cook in a preheated 375 degree F. oven for about 5 minutes. Serve very hot in the same dish.