- 2 egg yolks
- Salt and white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or dried mustard if desired
- 1 teaspoon white wine or tarragon vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- Place egg yolks in a bowl with salt and pepper, mustard, if desired and 1/8 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice.
- Beating constantly with a wire whisk add oil drop by drop at first, then in a steady trickle until the mayonnaise is thick. Add remaining vinegar and adjust seasoning, if desired; stir again.
- Makes about 1 cup.