Mamas Cooked Cabbage
- 4 slices bacon cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 Medium size green bell pepper
- 1 head of cabbage chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning Cajuns Choice or Cayenne pepper
- In a large deep skillet, saute the bacon till limp. Reserve the bacon. (Do not drain off the bacon grease)
- Add the onion and chopped bell pepper and saute about 4-5 minutes.
- Add a splash of water, or better yet, beer, to the bottom of the skillet.
- Add the cabbage, if you can't get it all in the skillet you can do it in stages. It will cook down so you shouldn't have any problem. Mix in the reserved bacon.
- When you have all the cabbage in and cooked down, cover and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook till it comes to your desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper and add the Cajun seasonings, stir and serve along with some Southern corn bread.