Lomi Lomi Salmon Recipe
- 1 pound fresh salmon skinned and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Kosher or Hawaiian salt
- 6 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 4 to matoes peeled and chopped
- 1 large Maui or sweet onion minced
- 3 scallions with tops minced
- In ceramic or glass bowl, combine well the salmon cut into 1-inch pieces with the Hawaiian salt and lemon juice. Cover and chill in refrigerator at least 12 hours.
- Drain the salmon in a colander. Rinse the salmon under cold running water and transfer to a bowl. Cover the salmon with cold water and let soak for 2 hours, changing the water once or twice.
- Drain the salmon and pat it dry. Chop it coarse. In a ceramic or glass bowl combine the salmon with the chopped tomato, minced onion and minced scallions.
- Squeeze the salmon through your fingers until the flesh and vegetables are very well mixed.
- Chill, covered, for 3 hours. Serves 8