Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 pound lentils
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 2 small carrots chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 cup red wine or vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Soak the lentils overnight; wash and drain them.
- Saute all ingredients, except wine or vinegar and lentils, with olive oil in a heavy soup pot.
- Add lentils and enough water to cover the lentils, stir, bring to boil,then reduce heat and simmer covered for about 45 minutes.
- While cooking, check periodically to see that the water always cover the lentils.
- When the lentils are tender, add salt and pepper to taste and wine or vinegar (the Greeks prefer the vinegar).
- Serve with Greek bread and boiled greens with olive oil and lemon juice.