Leg of Lamb With Yogurt
- 1 4-5 pound de-boned and butterflied
- 1 1/2 cups Greek style plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 crushed garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 cups beef broth
- Have your butcher de-bone, butterfly and tie a 4-5 pound leg of lamb.
- Mix the yogurt, tomato paste, garlic, pepper, spices and oil until well blended. Rub the mixture over the lamb, cover and let marinate over night in the refrigerator.
- The next day, take the lamb from the refrigerator and let stand for an hour. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a baking pan with a rack, place the lamb on the rack and pour in 2 cups of beef broth. Do not let the broth touch the lamb.
- Cook for about 2-2 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 150 degrees F. Remove from oven and let rest, covered with foil, for about 30 minutes.
- Slice and serve with gravy (see note).