Lamb and Bean Stew
- 1 pound great northern beans dried, picked over and soaked overnight.
- 2 pounds leg of lamb, boneless cut into 1 1/2" cubes
- 1 3- inch cinnamon stick
- 9 cups water
- 4 carrots chopped in 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 10 new potatoes, small with skin on and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, medium chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Drain the beans that have been soaking overnight.
- In a large pot add the 9 cups of water, the lamb and cinnamon stick, bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook at a simmer till meat is almost tender, about 1 hour.
- Add the beans, carrots, potatoes and cook, uncovered, for about another hour.
- Meanwhile, heat oil over moderate heat in a 12-inch heavy skillet until hot but not smoking,. Add onions, garlic, stirring until onions are translucent and tender. Stir in tomato paste and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic mixture and the salt and pepper to the cooked beans, stir and simmer until heated through.