Kale and Roasted Vegetable Soup
- 3 medium carrots cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tomatoes cut into wedges (or 1 15-ounce can of no added salt tomatoes) 1 yellow onion, peeled and cut into 6 to 8 wedges
- 6 big cloves of garlic peeled
- 1/2 butternut squash peeled and cut into cubes (you can also use eggplant)
- 1 bunch of kale stacked, rolled up, then thinly sliced
- 1 can cannellini beans drained or 1 1/2 cups freshly cooked white beans
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon thyme dried or a palm-full of fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a rimmed baking pan. Arrange the carrots and squash (or eggplant) on one end and the onions, garlic and tomato on the other. Roast until everything is slightly browned, around 30 minutes.
- Scoop the onions, tomatoes and garlic into a blender. Puree the vegetables briefly. Add the stock and mix briefly.
- In a large saucepan, bring the stock with blended veggies to a simmer. Add the kale, thyme and bay leaf. Cook until the kale is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots, squash (eggplant) and white beans. Cook for about 5 more minutes. Remove the bay leaf and the thyme sprigs, if you used fresh thyme.
- Season to taste and serve hot.