Indian Roast Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 medium garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 3 1/2-pound chicken
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, lemon zest, coriander, cayenne, turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper; mix well. Place the chicken in a gallon-size plastic bag, add the marinade and turn to coat all over. Seal the bag. Refrigerate the chicken for at least 4 or up to 12 hours, turning it occasionally in the bag.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. While the oven heats, let the chicken come to room temperature. Lift the chicken from the marinade and transfer to a roasting pan; discard the marinade and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Season the chicken with salt and pepper truss the bird and roast for 25 minutes. Rotate the pan and roast for another 25 minutes. Increase the temperature to 400 degrees F and roast the chicken for about 15 minutes longer, or until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced with a fork.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Skim the fat from the juices in the roasting pan and strain the juices through a coarse strainer. Season with salt and pepper and serve with the chicken.