Hot and Sour Thai Soup
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined, shells reserved
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass sliced on a bias in 2-inch pieces and bruised with a heavy knife
- 3 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 inch piece fresh galangal or ginger sliced
- 2 red Thai chiles sliced
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 2 limes juiced
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 fresh cilantro handful, chopped
- Peel and devein the shrimp reserving the shells. Cover and chill shrimp until needed.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and stir-fry the shrimp shells for 3-4 minutes until they turn pink. Add the lemongrass, lime leaves, and chicken broth. Pare a small strip of zest from the lime and add to the pan.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and pour it back into the pan. Squeeze the juice from the limes and add the galangal or ginger, chiles, fish sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Return to a boil, lower the heat, add the shrimp and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the shrimp just turn pink.
- Add the green onions and sprinkle with cilantro and serve.