Honey Glazed Baked Beans
- 1 pound dried Pinto beans
- 10 cups water
- 2 medium onions diced
- 8 oz. bacon diced or a ham hock
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons ginger ground
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pick-over, rinse and soak the pinto beans for at least an hour or better over-night. Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Rinse the beans and add 10 cups of water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the beans are almost tender, about 45 minutes.
- Drain the beans, reserving the cooking liquid. Combine the beans in a 5 or 6 qt. casserole with the onions, bacon & garlic.
- Stir into the cooking liquid the honey, ginger, dry mustard, salt and pepper.Pour the liquid over the beans. Cover and bake until the beans are tender, about 2 1/2 hours. If you used a ham hock instead of the bacon, cut off the meat and stir into the baked beans.