Hollandaise Sauce Recipe
- 3 egg yolks at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup butter diced, at room tempurature
- Salt and white pepper
- Paprika or red cayenne pepper, if desired
- In the top of a double broiler over barely simmering water (water should not touch the bottom of the bowl, whisk egg yolks, water and lemon juice until fluffy. Whisk rapidly but be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble.
- Add butter, piece by piece, making sure each piece is incorporated before adding the next; continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened and doubled in volume.
- Remove from heat, whisk in salt, pepper and paprika or red pepper, if desired, Pour into a warm serving dish and serve at once or cover and place in warm place.