Hawaiian Haupia Dessert Recipe
- 3 cups scalded milk
- 3 cups coconut freshly grated
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Pour the scalded milk over the freshly grated coconut in a saucepan. Let mixture stand for five minutes.
- Bring milk to a simmer and simmer mixture for 10 minutes. Let it cool. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve lined with several thicknesses of rinsed and squeezed cheesecloth into a bowl and squeeze the moisture from the coconut.
- In a small bowl stir cornstarch into 2/3 cup coconut milk until the mixture is a smooth paste.
- In a saucepan, combine the remaining coconut milk and 4 1/2 tablespoons of sugar. Bring mixture to boiling point.
- Add cornstarch mixture in a trickle, stirring and cook the mixture over low heat, stirring for 10 to 15 minutes or until it is very thick.
- Pour the mixture into an 8-inch square cake pan, rinsed but not dried, smooth the top and let it cool.
- Chill covered mixture for at least 2 hours or until very firm and cut into 2-inch squares.