Hawaiian Beef Jerky – Pipikaula
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin or flank steak cut into 4 x2 x 3/4-inch striips
- 1 tablespoon Hawaiian or Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic pressed and minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger fresh minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried hot red chiles
- In a glass or ceramic bowl, add the last 5 ingredients and toss the meat strips until well covered in the bowl. Let it marinate, covered, in the refrigerator over night.
- In the morning, flatten the strips slightly and sprinkle with the kosher salt. Let stand, covered loosely, for 30 minutes. Arrange strips 1-inch apart on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Place in a preheated, 200 degree F. oven for about 5 or 6 hours, turning the pieces over every once in awhile, or until the meat is firm to the touch. Remove and let rest until completely cooled.
- The meat can be eaten immediately or covered and stored in the refrigerator.