Ham and Potato Lasagna Recipe
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 onion about 8 oz. peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 2 10- oz. packages of frozen chopped spinach thawed
- 2 heads fennel about 4 in. wide
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 1/2 pound thin-sliced cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- In a bowl, blend broth and cornstarch until smooth.
- In a 2 to 3-quart pan over high heat, stir onion into one teaspoon oil until limp, about 5 minutes. Add broth mixture, milk, nutmeg and pepper; stir until mixture boils. Remove from heat, add Fontina cheese and stir until melted.
- Squeeze liquid from spinach. Rinse fennel. Chop and reserve 1/2 cup feathery green leaves; trim and discard remaining stalks, root ends, bruised areas and coarse fibers from fennel heads. Cut heads crosswise into 1/8-inch slices.
- Scrub and peel potatoes. Cut length-wise unto 1/8-inch slices.
- Lightly oil a shallow 3-quart casserole (about 9 x 13 in.). Overlap 1/3 of the potatoes in an even layer over casserole bottom. Cover evenly with 1/2 the fennel,1/2 the ham and 1/2 the spinach; spoon 1/3 of the Fontina cheese sauce over spinach. Repeat layers of potatoes, fennel, ham, spinach and sauce. Cover sauce with remaining potatoes, then coat potatoes with remaining sauce.
- Bake covered in a 375 degree F. oven for 30 minutes; uncover and continue baking until top is richly browned and potatoes are tender when pierced, about 1 hour longer (about 45 minutes longer in a convection oven). Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over lasagna and bake 5 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fennel leaves, cut into rectangles and with a wide spatula, lift out portions. Add salt to taste.