Ham and Bean Soup Recipe
Ingredients for the beans:
- 2 cups Great Northern beans soaked overnight
- 1 1/2 pounds ham hocks smoked
- 8 cups chicken broth
Ingredients for the soup:
- 3 cups leeks sliced
- 2 cloves garlic fresh, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 turnips peeled, diced (12 oz.)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots chopped 1/4" thick
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence - (See Glossary)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 cups Savoy cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked ham chopped
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme sprigs
For the Croutons:
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 4 cups bread cubes 1-inch
- 2 tablespoons Parmeasn cheese grated
- For the beans, simmer beans and ham hocks in broth in a pot, partially covered, over medium heat until beans are tender, about 2 hours. Trim the ham hocks of any meat on the bone and add it to the soup. Discard the fat and bone.
For the soup:
- Sweat the leeks and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil in a separate pot over medium heat until leeks soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add wine; reduce until nearly evaporated.
- Add potatoes, turnips, carrots, 3 thyme sprigs, bay leaves, herbs de Provence, nutmeg and reserved beans and broth.
- Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, until potatoes and turnips are fork tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage, chopped ham, and vinegar; season with salt and pepper.
- For the croutons, heat butter and 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until butter melts. Add bread cubes and saute until toasted, stirring often, 7-8 minutes. Transfer croutons to a bowl, toss with