Greek Lamb with Orzo
- 1 pound lean ground lamb
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary or oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Can 14 1/4-ounce of diced tomatoes with juice, mashed with a potato masher.
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted black olives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 12 ounces orzo
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- In a small skillet, cook lamb over medium heat, stirring, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain in a sieve set over a bowl.
- In a Dutch oven or deep saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic cinnamon, rosemary or oregano and crushed red pepper; cook stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add lamb.
- Add the mashed tomatoes with juice and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in olives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook orzo until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and toss with the sauce. Serve garnished with feta cheese.