Greek Country Style Bread Recipe
- 3/4 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 2 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons honey
- In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in warm water (105-115 degrees) and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes to activate the yeast.
- In a stand mixer, mix in the remaining ingredients, mixing until the dough starts to come together.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead only long enough to bring the dough together.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch down and divide the dough in half and form into rounds to make 2 loaves.
- Place several inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets and cover. Allow the loaves to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. With a sharp knife make 2 slashes in one direction and 2 slashes crossing those slashes. (#)
- Place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until browned and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.