German Potato Salad Recipe
- 8 red potatoes
- 6-8 strips bacon
- 3/4 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 dill pickle chopped
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon deli style mustard
- Cover the potatoes with cold water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook gently until just tender.Fry the bacon till crisp then drain on paper towel, reserving 1/4 cup bacon drippings for the dressing (See below) . Crumble the bacon and reserve.
- In a few tablespoons of the remaining bacon drippings, saute the chopped onion and the chopped celery, until the onion is tender but not browned. Stir in the chopped pickle and set aside.
- When the potatoes are done and still warm and with the skins still on, slice them about 1/4-inch thick into a bowl. Add the sauteed onion mixture and the reserved crumbled bacon and the dressing and gently toss until the potatoes are well coated with the dressing and the salad ingredients are well blended. Serve hot or at room temperature. Note: Tomato wedges, quartered hard-boiled eggs, chopped parsely and additional crumbled bacon may be added as garnishes.
- MAKE THE DRESSING: In a skillet or saucepan add the reserved 1/4-cup bacon drippings and heat until very warm. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk for about 3 minutes or until completely blended. Whisk in the hot broth and the vinegar and continue cooking and whisking over medium-high heat until dressing has thickened. Add the sugar, salt, pepper and mustard. Taste for seasoning and correct as needed; dressing may also be thinned by adding a little warm broth.