Eggplant with Peppers and Parmesan
- 4 medium eggplant whole
- 2 large tomatoes quartered
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 whole bell pepper, green seeded and finely chopped
- 1 whole bell pepper, red seeded and finely chopped
- 2 oz. pine nuts chopped
- 2 oz. bread crumbs fresh, white
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- small handful of basil, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Wash and dry the eggplant and cut off the stem end. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, cook the eggplant very gently, turning frequently, for 10 minutes. Lift them out without breaking the skin and reserve.
- Put the chopped onions and peppers into the oil and cook very gently for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Cut the eggplants in half, longways and scoop out the flesh without breaking the skins. Add the onions, peppers, garlic, pine nuts, breadcrumbs and quartered tomatoes to the eggplant flesh, season with salt and pepper and cook in a slow oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and basil. Enjoy with fresh baked sourdough bread and creme fraiche.