Delicate Rellano Sauce Recipe
- 3 tablespoons lard
- 2 onions sliced thick and cut into sixths
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 can chicken broth, 13 3/4 oz. adding water to make total volume 4 cups
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, saute the onions and bell pepper in the lard till slightly transparent. Add the diced tomatoes and cook till well blended.
- Add the chicken broth and water and the next 5 items, simmer until vegetables are soft and flavors blended, approximately 45 minutes, partially covered.
- Mix the flour and water together to form a slurry, add to the simmering mixture and cook till thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.