Date Nut Bread
- 1 1/2 cups dates pitted and chopped
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon brandy or whiskey
- 1 teaspoon cream tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, pour the hot water over the dates, butter, sugar, lemon juice, salt, baking soda and alcohol and mix thoroughly.
- Let the mixture rest and cool completely. When cool, add eggs, flour, cream of tartar, nuts and vanilla and gently combine all ingredients.
- Pour mixture into the greased pan and bang the pan a few times to settle the mixture. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.